The new fiscal year presents an opportunity to review your Cultural Orientation program and catch up on the latest CORE resources. Here are three recommended tasks CORE invites you to consider:
1. Catch up on new Cultural Orientation Certification Course lessons
Did you know we have a new ‘Delivering One-on-One Cultural Orientation” lesson available? Review the course list and finish a few more lessons to improve your skills. All lessons only take 20 to 40 minutes to complete.
2. Pick one Cultural Orientation topic and make it more interactive
Revamping your entire Cultural Orientation curriculum might feel overwhelming, so consider starting with one topic or section of your class. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Browse the CORE Resettlement Navigator website for videos and podcasts to use during the lesson. You can browse by topic or review all the materials on the ‘For Providers’ section of the site to find resources in various languages.
- Watch webinars for inspiration. CORE webinars cover specific Cultural Orientation topics and provide ways to change the format of your class.
- Is hygiene a particularly challenging topic to discuss with clients? Check out these tips from other Cultural Orientation providers to improve your curriculum.
3. Download the Settle In app.
CORE’s Settle In app is a great tool to use with clients before and after they arrive in the United States. Settle In, available as a mobile or desktop app, provides relevant Cultural Orientation information through interactive quizzes and learning activities. It is free to download and use in Arabic, Burmese, Dari, English, Kinyarwanda, Russian, and Swahili. The lessons can be downloaded over Wi-Fi and used offline. Once you are familiar with the app, review CORE’s Refugee Communications Toolkit for ideas on how to incorporate the app and other CORE resources into your curriculum.