Cultural Orientation Guide and Video for Trainers
Refugee Training and Orientation: A Guide for Service Providers
This 254 page guide was created in 2014 as a tool to enhance the effectiveness of Cultural Orientation. It provides guidance on enhancing capacity to:
- Effectively conduct needs assessments
- Work with diverse groups of people and groups with special needs
- Incorporate various training methods into orientation
- Train trainers
- Collaborate with partners in orientation design and delivery
It features chapters on:
- Foundations of Refugee Orientation and Training
- Planning a Training Program
- Training Delivery and Assessment: Methods, Materials, Tips, and Tools
- Developing Trainers and Partnerships
This 63 page companion to the Guide for Service Providers contains handouts, worksheets and checklists to further develop trainers’ skills and knowledge.
This 12 page booklet provides basic information on adult learning theory, terminology and methods. Specific guidance on setting up a training room and soothing tensions among a group is also presented.
Cultural Orientation Training: An Introduction for Trainers Video
This 38:30 video provides an introduction to the work of Cultural Orientation. It would be useful to orient new and potential employees, volunteers, and interns. Starting at 13:20 we see demonstrations of different strategies and techniques to engage learners.