Resettling to the United States During the COVID-19 Pandemic
COVID-19 causes respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. It is now a pandemic that is currently impacting countries worldwide. As refugees come to the United States, this global pandemic may present additional challenges to their resettlement. CO providers can use this lesson plan to keep refugees informed with credible, accurate information about COVID-19 and, as appropriate, its impact on their resettlement. CO providers are responsible for ensuring all information provided on COVID-19 reflects the latest guidance.Download Lesson Plan
- COVID-19, also called the coronavirus, is a respiratory illness that is quickly spreading worldwide. Symptoms of the illness include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
- The virus spreads when a person coughs or sneezes and it lands on an uninfected person. The virus also spreads when a person touches a surface that has the virus on it and then touches their mouth, nose, and eyes.
- It is important to stay calm, wash your hands, avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. It is also important to avoid individuals who are sick, if possible.
- To limit the spread of the disease, governments are asking individuals to adhere to guidance or rules which are put in place for the safety of everyone.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, information may change quickly and individuals are responsible for following appropriate guidance and staying informed about the situation in their communities.
- During the pandemic, you will need to continue to work with your Resettlement Support Center or Resettlement Agency, as appropriate.
After this lesson, participants will be able to:
- Describe COVID-19 and the three main symptoms associated with the virus.
- Identify how COVID-19 spreads and what to do to protect oneself and family members from infection.
- Explain the importance of taking COVID-19 seriously for everyone’s health and safety.
- Follow local guidance and find accurate and reliable up to date information on COVID-19.
- Articulate the role of the Resettlement Support Center and the Resettlement Agency during COVID-19, including the provision of resettlement services.
- COVID-19 Understanding Guidance and Rules Fact Sheet (1 per participant)
- Resettling to the United States during COVID-19 Pandemic Fact Sheet (1 per participant)
- Speakers and media player for Podcast or Video
- Copies of COVID-19: How to Protect Yourself Guided Discussion Worksheet (1 per participant)
- Cut out responsibility cards
- Copies of scenarios (as selected)