This backgrounder contains historical, political, and cultural information intended to cultivate a general understanding of Ukrainians who are arriving in the U.S. CORE produced this backgrounder to aid U.S. Resettlement Agencies (RAs) and their local affiliates and partners to provide culturally appropriate Cultural Orientation (CO) and other services to newly arrived Ukrainians. The information provided is intended as guidance and does not represent the needs and challenges of all Ukrainians. As such, service providers are encouraged to adapt their services as appropriate.
Note: A full PDF version of the Ukrainian backgrounder is coming soon.
This page was last updated August 30th, 2022.
- Welcome.US for Ukraine
- United for Ukraine USCIS
- PBS: Ukraine’s History and its road to independence
- UNHCR: Map of Refugees from Ukraine across Europe
- UNHCR: Ukraine Emergency
- MPI: Ukrainian Immigrants in the United States
- USCRI: Resources for Ukrainian Allies
- CMS: Health Coverage Options for Certain Ukrainian Nationals
- NRC-RIM: COVID-19 Resources for Ukrainian New Arrivals
- Country Navigator: A Cultural Guide to Hosting Refugees from Ukraine
- Tent-LIRS: U.S. Employers’ Guide to Hiring Refugees
- Amazon: Ukrainian Phrasebook for Helping Refugees