Delivering Effective Remote CO
Delivering Effective Remote CO
Cultural Orientation (CO) is usually an in-person learning experience. However, there are occasions where in-person delivery is not possible due to distance, health, or other constricting circumstances. Additionally, the COVID-19 pandemic has necessitated an unprecedented move to remote delivery for the safety of participants and service providers. Remote Cultural Orientation is administered either by telephone, virtually, or through a combination of these two methods. While CORE has existing resources on How to Deliver Remote CO, the following promising practice provides additional in-depth guidance and tips.
Resources for Remote Cultural Orientation
Just getting started with remote Cultural Orientation? Looking to enhance your existing delivery? Refer to these resources for guidance, tips, and examples from the field.
Resources for Digital Inclusion
Being mindful of digital inclusion ensures refugees have access to and use the technology and resources they need. Below are a variety of resources that can help address digital access and inclusion both in and outside of Cultural Orientation delivery.
- National Digital Inclusion Alliance: This organization advocates for home broadband access, public broadband access, device access, and local technology training and support programs
- Digital Internet Guidebook: This guide developed by the National Digital Inclusion Alliance and provides guidance for implementing digital inclusion at your organization
- LifeLine: Lifeline is a federal program that lowers the cost for phone and internet access
- EveryoneOne: EveryOne is a non-profit that connects low-income families with affordable internet, computers, and digital skills trainings
- FCC Emergency Broadband Benefit: The Emergency Broadband Benefit is an FCC program to help households struggling to pay for internet service during the pandemic. This benefit connects eligible households to jobs, critical healthcare services, and virtual classrooms
- Digital US Digital Navigator Hub: This Hub includes guides and learning resources that organizations can use to provide on-demand tech support to adult learners such as relevant information to secure connectivity and devices, and foundational digital skills, learning, and job training
- HIAS Training YouTube Channel with Introductory Chromebook Orientation videos available in English, Arabic, Tigrinya, Burmese, Dari, Kinyarwanda, Swahili, and Nepali
- HIAS Virtual Communication Guide Using WhatsApp and Zoom available in Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Ukrainian, and Urdu
- IRC Digital Literacy Videos available in Rohingya, Spanish, Swahili, Arabic, Dari, and Burmese
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops How to Use a Chromebook Guide available in Amharic, Arabic, Burmese, Dari, Karen, Kinyarwanda, Nepali, Pashto, Spanish, Swahili, and Tigrinya.
- Switchboard Resource Round Up: Multilingual Tutorials on Zoom and Other Platforms
- HIAS Digital Literacy Toolkit available in Arabic, Dari, Pashto, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tigrinya, and Ukrainian
- HIAS Digital Literacy Videos for Newcomer Families
- IRC Digital Literacy Lessons in Dari and English
- Mobile Internet Skills Training Tool available in Bengali, English, French, Hindi, Kinyarwanda, and Swahili
- Microsoft: Digital skills resources for refugees available in Arabic, French, German, Spanish
- Google for Education: Applied Digital Skills
- eSafety Commisoner of Australia resources available in multiple language and topics
- EdTech Center: EdTech aims to increase the reach and impact of adult education by leveraging new digital technologies
- Digitunity Technology Gap Map: This map illustrates what device ownership looks like today, and illustrates technology gaps at state and county levels
- LINCS Digital Literacy Initiatives: LINCS is a program funded by the U.S. Department of Education that provides digital literacy initiatives to adult learners. Its main goal is to enhance the integration of technology into instruction and increase student access to technology